Popular Posts

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Run For Your Life

"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly."

        - Proverb
 
 I remember the suitcase so vividly and clearly, as if I had packed it yesterday. It had an ice blue and electric pink '70s paisley pattern on its soft cardboard casing. The zipper always got stuck and the plastic edges in the front that helped to guide the zipper were breaking down, but I loved that suitcase.  Although it was very small, it seemed big enough to fit all the necessities of a young world traveler such as myself.  I don't remember the exact reason I decided to leave that night, but I do recall the feeling as if it was what I needed to do and that there was no sense in putting off the inevitable.

I was determined to pack it up, pack it in, and get going before someone could tell me that I had to leave.  Rejection is never a good feeling, but the sting is lessened when it's experienced on your own terms.  I didn't know it at the time, but that was the beginning of a cycle that would continue in my life for many years to come.  This would be my approach and "M.O." for the majority of my future relationships: Leave them- before they leave me.

In many different ways, and on many different levels, my life has revolved around running.  For a time all I could do was try to run away.  Then I ran into trouble.  As time passed, with endurance and tenacity, I ran with the idea of helping girls in need and haven't stopped since.
In August of 2009 I founded the nonprofit organization, Girls With Sole, which uses free fitness and wellness programs to empower at-risk girls and those who have experienced any type of abuse.  Turning a negative into a positive, I have made it my life's mission to instill strength, self-confidence, and pride in girls, and to help them embrace running (and other sports) - for all the right reasons.
 
My greatest satisfaction is seeing our girls reach a goal, cross that finish line, and begin to believe in themselves because of Girls With Sole.  There's nothing like it in the world. The smiles on their faces are priceless, and not something they give out easily.  But the finish line draws golden sunshine from within their hearts that they didn't know existed. 
 
The finish line feeling is truly life-changing.
 

 
What has surprised me the most about Girls With Sole is how truly needed it is and how quickly the girls respond to it in a positive manner - even those who walk into the room in the worst moods, proclaiming they will not participate.
 

Within 20 to 30 minutes these same girls are running, dancing, or playing basketball or volleyball.  They are laughing, smiling, and having a great time being kids- and that's what it's really all about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=okT8KgpV8ME

1 comment: